top of page

Noise: Council does not deal with the following types of noise problems.

- Parties

- Off-road vehicles

- Burglar alarms

Who to contact: Queensland Police on 13 14 44

- Premises with liquor license

Who to contact: Department of Justice and Attorney-General (DJAG) on 137468

- State government properties or activities regulated by the state government

Who to contact: Department of Environment and Heritage Protection on 1300 130 372


Acceptable noise levels and complaints

Noise can disrupt sleep and interfere with daily activities. If it is loud enough, it can also have a negative impact on people's health.

Guide to decibel levels

Some noise regulations include a maximum loudness in decibels. Some usual decibel levels for everyday situations are:

  • quiet room in the house - 20 to 30 decibels

  • daytime in a quiet residential street - 35 to 45 decibels

  • large busy office - 50 to 60 decibels

  • lawn mower from 15 metres away - 70 decibels


Noise guidelines apply for: 

  • Air conditioning systems in residential areas

  • Amplifier devices in residential areas

  • Building sites in residential areas

  • Tools and maintenance work around the home

  • Water tank pumps, pool pumps and spa blowers

  • Refrigeration equipment in residential area

Noise guidelines also apply to dogs that make excessive noise by barking. Refer to Barking and roaming dogs.



To make a complaint

To lodge a complaint contact council's customer service centre.

If you have engaged already with the council and you didn't find a solution, we are happy to assist.

Please fill out our noise complaint surveys to help you with your problem 

bottom of page